Friday, August 27, 2010

It's Been Awhile

Hi everyone, its been a while since I last posted a blog. (THATS an understatement)
My family and I are in New Zealand now, though, sadly, we had to leave our boat behind in Mexico. We've been here for about seven months, only a few more till we can leave and live on our boat again. The general plan, I think, is sail back here after we get the boat ready, and live in the Auckland area for another year.

The school I go to is Pukekohe Intermediate School, a few blocks from the house we are renting. My teacher is Ms.Guise, and my best friend is Katie. My classroom is Room 31, the accelerant year 7 class. The curriculum we do is pretty simple, but mixed up a bit, cause its pretty hard to teach 32 students. Our main subjects are Math, Reading, Writing, and Other. The "Other" is awesome stuff like woodwork or music or sewing. You know, life skills. What astounds me is how little regular science or history my school seems to do. The stuff we do get is in odd bits.

A few weeks ago, my school did its cross country race, all the students had to participate. We, meaning the students, trained for a couple weeks. At first, I was doing really good, getting 11th, then 9th place in the practices out of almost 120 year 7 girls. Then, in the last practice before the race, I had an asthma attack halfway through. My asthma made it extremely difficult to run as hard as I had before, so on the day of the race I scored 61st. BOOOOOOO.

I'm in several sort of extra-curricular groups, none of them sport. One is choir, led by Ms. Griffin. The other is Kapahaka. Kapahaka is a maori dance and song group for kids. Its very fun, the boys get to learn a haka, which is generally a war dance, and the girls get to learn a poi, a very cool dance, that involves balls attached to ropes that we have to swing around. My last extra-curricular thing is after school, and doesn't directly link with the school. I do Drama right after dinner. Drama is my favorite, and usually my teacher is Melody, a really nice lady.

Still, even after all this excitement, life here doesn't seem to be as rich or entertaining as it was on the boat. Everything, even Drama, seems to fall into a pattern that can get exhaustingly boring. One other thing, I miss my pet Dulcinea. We had to leave her with a friend in the US to save her from having to go through a 6 month quarantine.

Well, thats it for this year folks! (just kidding)

3 comments:

brains said...

At this rate, it'll be another 2 years before we hear from you again! It's good to get an update anyway :).

The history that they taught in school when I was growing up was extremely boring and required memorizing a lot of facts about things I didn't care about. It wasn't till I was even out of college that I became interested. In fact, I felt a little cheated once I found out there are a lot of interesting things to study. So it's too bad your school is neglecting it too. You're an avid reader though, so maybe that's something you can do on your own.

DMC said...

i second brains' comments. There is a lot of interesting *non-fiction* that you could read to supplement your schoolwork

DMC said...

i agree. Lots of *non-fiction* out there that is interesting.