Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Crew, Clean, Chop Sickness

There is nothing worse than being on a catamaran in close-together chop. Every time you go on a wave, your boat and stomach pitch and roll. When you also have a cranky mother who is making noise about school work, it's nothing short of a nightmare. I'm sitting on a seat in front of our computer in said chop having second thoughts about my tuna sandwich. It's a sunny day with a beautiful, cooperative, breeze. And I want to barf. 

The only remedy to Chop Sickness is sleep. Instantly, the rolling, bucking, ship becomes the most vigorous cradle you've ever been in. Of course, if you are a light sleeper, you may need to employ the help of Melatonin to knock you out. Sadly, I can't go to sleep because I have to do............... School work. 

Being crew is a step up from swab, which is a step up from passenger. But, when you're crew, you have to do all these tiresome things called work. When I became Crew, I was doing watch with mom. The wind was good so we decided to put up the spinnaker. This would be the first time both of us would try to raise the spinnaker without Dad. Naturally, things didn't go as well as we hoped but it was alright. Mom proclaimed me crew as soon as it was up. I didn't feel like crew. My nose was running, and I was tired enough to consider sleeping on the trampoline. 

Unlike what some magazines might suggest, cruising isn't all fun and roses. I figured this out when I saw the pile of dishes I had to dry. Coming back to that general topic, having a clean boat is important. It's essential for my mother's happiness which is essential to our happiness. So remember kids, whenever you think the Goddess of the kitchen is being unfair, remember who keeps your belly round.

Mera Conger
s/v Don Quixote




No comments: