Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Zewotinejoh Zone

 My tired family motored into the Zewotinejoh Zone and plumped down in to the Playa de Ropa at 7:30-8:00 at night. All I saw was hundreds of twinkling multi-colored lights that spread their colors onto the rippling waters. The atmosphere was quiet, sleepy, and humid. I liked my first impression of Zewot. 

In the morning, the dawn sun turned the water to gold on my first day at Zewot.
Despite all the beauty around us, we couldn't fully enjoy the afternoon because of one nagging little thought, the reason we were here. I've long since known my family wasn't rich and that money doesn't last forever. In three days time on January 13, my dad was going to leave us for work in Seattle, to plump the cruising kitty. He had made a contract with the owners of a medical clinic that every 3-4 months he'd come back to work for about 3 weeks. No-one liked the idea. 

After seeing the sunrise, we all went into town and explored. All dinghies apparently drive up on a beach and are watched over by a short mexican man named Nathaniel. The town is kinda scruffy and the shops kinda dirty. However, the major town had a certain appeal and bustle. Near the beaches where all the cruise ship's passengers go, the shops were charming. Around that area we found a pancake house. I ordered waffles. The pancake house was reasonably filled and the food delicious. Our serving lady was kind and the chairs comfy. I have a feeling we'll be going there again. After breakfast, we found the market which I will describe in a later blog.

Though I will have to live here a few more days before I decide, I think Zewot will be livable until daddy gets back.

Mera Conger
s/v Don Quixote




No comments: