Friday, March 4, 2011

Sleepovers

You know, its a good thing that I like sleepovers because I have been
having A LOT these past weeks. For me, sleepovers center around the
novelty of sleeping over at someone elses house for a change. But whats
the appeal for the girls who have gone on so many sleepovers that the
novelty wears off? Do they just do it to get out of their house? To
watch movies? Be with their friends? All of these good reasons, don't
get me wrong, but I have to wonder when sleepovers become a normal
every-day thing, instead of a rare treat.

The reason I bring this up is that recently, my sister and I have been
practically living at our friend's house, and she at ours. We have a
perfectly good and well used excuse. We will be leaving in February to
go get our boat and sail it back to NZ, and that will take MONTHS. So
these weeks may be the last we will get to see of each other for at
least half a year. (he he he)

In the last half century, girl sleepovers haven't changed much. Sure the
technology and subjects have changed, but not the general idea. Music,
movies, dress-up and junk food. 8-) What do you think about when you
think of sleepovers? I think about staying up late, falling to sleep on
crumbs, stuffy and hot rooms, good movies, Monopoly, other board games,
pillow fights, "whats your secret" games, chocolate, junk food and loud
music. :-) Sleepovers may change as girls get older, but all you are
really adding is a growing interest in boys, scary movies, and clothes.
Oh, and make-up. I may have a biased view because my older sister is
about as teenagery as you can get.

There is a whole other side to this, the parent's view. I have often
wondered what other kids' parents think when they learn their darling
offspring are bringing over a friend or two. Or three. Do they feel an
impending sense of doom? Do they stock-up on ear plugs? Do they rent a
hotel room on the other side of town? Do they sigh a long suffering sigh
and lock their bedroom door? Do they turn white and pray? ( This can
vary depending on the type of kid and parent.) The reason I said "other
kids' parents" is that my parents, or more strictly my Mom, have no
trouble what so ever telling me what they think. Their view is something
like this. " Sure, bring 'em over, but no boys, drugs, cigarettes, and
leaving the house. Lights out at 10:00 and if we hear a peep past
midnight you'll be grounded till your 30." In other words, my parents
are very relaxed about the whole issue.

So what do girls really do at sleepovers boys? Ha! Wouldn't you like to
know.

No comments: